About Our Scholarship
Cheshire's Lights of Hope Scholarship aims to encourage the next generation of volunteers to serve their community to continue spreading the message of hope and encouragement amongst neighbors.
Congrats to our 2022 candidates who were each awarded a $2,000 scholarship.
The Application forms and directions to apply for the 2023 Cheshire’s Lights of Hope Scholarship are available on this webpage. Completed applications with all required documentation must be submitted by or postmarked by March 10, 2023.
Our scholarship has been awarded each year to deserving candidates since 2009. To learn more about the current and past years' winners and their commitment to volunteerism scroll down and select by year.
This scholarship will be awarded to two Cheshire residents who are seniors in high school and best exemplify the mission and vision of Cheshire’s Lights of Hope through volunteerism and community service. IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO HAVE PARTICIPATED IN THE CHESHIRE’S LIGHTS OF HOPE LUMINARY EVENT TO APPLY FOR THIS SCHOLARSHIP.
Cheshire’s Lights of Hope was established in 2005 by Don and Jenifer Walsh to unite our community, to light up our town and create a brighter world. Through acts of kindness and generosity, we encourage good citizenship and promote volunteerism while embracing and supporting local charities. Over $1,250,000 has been raised in 18 years with the help of hundreds of volunteers to support many local charities including the Cheshire Community Food Pantry, Cheshire Youth and Social Services, the Petit Family Foundation and numerous others, examples of our beliefs in "Neighbors Helping Neighbors". While the luminary event came to a close in 2022, the Board of Directors for Cheshire’s Lights of Hope has pledged to continue to offer the two scholarships while possible into the foreseeable future.
The Lights of Hope Scholarship Committee will specifically look at the amount and type of community service and volunteer work the candidate has done, with greater emphasis on community service performed within the town of Cheshire as well as the number of years he/she participated in volunteer events. The impact this volunteer work has had on the Cheshire community will be given high consideration. The candidate should have maintained above average grades (2.5 GPA minimum) although all candidates with exceptional service records to the community are encouraged to apply. The recommendations, personal essay and resume will also be strongly considered by the Committee in its selection of worthy recipients.
Two $2,000 scholarships will be awarded to graduates in full time attendance at accredited colleges. These scholarships will be awarded directly to each winner's college, half ($1,000) by August 15 and the remaining half ($1,000) upon our receipt of legible proof of the successful completion of the first semester of their college studies.
HOW TO APPLY
The Cheshire's Lights of Hope (CLOH) 2023 Scholarship application is available on this page.
CLOH Scholarship Application (.pdf *)
The Cheshire’s Lights of Hope (CLOH) Scholarship:
- The application must be completed by ALL applicants. The Cheshire High School (CHS) Common Scholarship Application does not need to be submitted; only the CLOH Scholarship Application is required.
- As part of the CLOH Scholarship Application, each applicant must submit an essay (approximately 500 words) describing the local Cheshire community service activities you have participated in and how those activities have impacted your life and the lives of others.
- SAT information is NOT required.
- Financial information is NOT required and is not taken into consideration for this scholarship.
- Must self-report Grade Point Average (GPA) on application form. A cumulative GPA of 2.5 or greater is required to apply for this scholarship.
- Transcript of grades is NOT required.
- A copy of your resume IS required.
- Two letters of recommendation are required, at least one of which must be from an organization the volunteer has performed community service with, and neither of which should be from a relative of the applicant.
- In addition to the Community and Volunteer Service section of the CLOH application, documentation (proof of hours of service) must be provided for any organization the applicant performed over 100 hours of community service in a given year.
- APPLICATIONS WITHOUT THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION WILL BE REMOVED FROM SCHOLARSHIP CONSIDERATION.
- All Cheshire residents, regardless of which high school they attend, are encouraged to apply.
- IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO HAVE PARTICIPATED IN THE CHESHIRE’S LIGHTS OF HOPE LUMINARY EVENT TO APPLY FOR THIS SCHOLARSHIP.
- Completed applications must be submitted or postmarked by March 10, 2023.
- Applications with support documentation may be submitted through the following methods:
- Via the Cheshire High School Counseling Dept. (CHS students)
- Electronically using the Scholarship Application request form below.
- Mailed to the following address by the deadline date:
Scholarship Committee Chair
Cheshire’s Lights of Hope
PO Box 553
Cheshire, CT 06410
* Adobe PDF Reader is required, get Adobe Reader for free here.
Online Scholarship Application Submission Form
The Online Scholarship Application Submission form allows you to submit your application after you have obtained a copy of the Scholarship Application, downloaded it to your local computer, completed and saved, and then uploaded as an attached file (i.e. pdf, doc, docx, etc.) along with supporting documents. Fields with * are required. Your application must be submitted in full (with all required documents) by March 10, 2023.
Please allow up to 3 days for our Scholarship Committee to respond.
Scholarship Application Submission Form
Congrats to Our Scholarship Winners!
Cheshire’s Lights of Hope has selected Cheshire High School graduates Madelyn Falcone and Lindsay Mollin as the organization’s 2022 scholarship recipients, awarding each $2,000 in recognition of extraordinary community service and volunteerism to the Cheshire community. Recipients were announced during an awards ceremony at Cheshire High School on May 24.
Cheshire’s Lights of Hope has selected Cheshire High School graduates Meghan McDonough and Shea Cronin as the organization’s 2021 scholarship recipients, awarding each $2,000 in recognition of extraordinary community service and volunteerism. Recipients were announced during an awards ceremony at Cheshire High School on June 15.
Cheshire’s Lights of Hope has selected Cheshire High School graduates Reginald (RJ) Streater and Christine Anthony as the organization’s 2020 scholarship recipients, awarding each $2,000 in recognition of extraordinary community service and volunteerism. Recipients were announced in May during the Cheshire High School Senior Awards Night.
Cheshire’s Lights of Hope has selected Cheshire High School graduates Kathleen Moran and Jessica Mollin as the organization’s 2019 scholarship recipients, awarding each $2,000 in recognition of extraordinary community service and volunteerism. Recipients were announced on May 21 during the Cheshire High School Senior Awards Night.
Cheshire’s Lights of Hope has selected Cheshire High School graduates Jessica Curello and Jonathan Mercugliano as the organization’s 2018 scholarship recipients, awarding each $2,000 in recognition of extraordinary community service and volunteerism. Recipients were announced on May 15 during the Cheshire High School Senior Awards Night.
Congratulations to our 2017 scholarship winners Helen Bian, who is attending the University of Connecticut, Honors Program and Abigail Abramson, who is attending the University of Pennsylvania.
Congratulations to our 2016 scholarship winners!